Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Get the "live" cuts off the greatest hits!

I recognize the fact that I'm just one person, that my life pretty much sucks, and I'm not really going to effect a whole lot of change in the world; but if there were one thing...

Maybe this isn't it, but it might be one thing that I'd change. It just shows up a bit further down the priority scale.

What I really want to see is the complete and total elimination of "live" tracks on greatest hits compilations--unless of course the title is Greatest Hits Live. Yes, this is one of those pathetic gripes I have that I like to spout off on once in a while.

So, any record execs out there reading my blog, Efforts in Futility: A) don't you have better things to be doing? like B) put out greatest hits compilations WITHOUT the live tracks. The only exception to this rule (aside from the Greatest Hits Live thing) is this--the only live tracks allowed on the "non-live" greatest hits CD would be those that were played regularly and became hits in and of themselves, but the original studio version should also be included unless it, in and of itself, was a complete flop. Even then, I'd probably include it just to satiate idiots like myself who are generally insatiable on such matters.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Brad, I am amazed. I thought I was the only one out there who was REALLY bugged by this same problem. I LOATHE when I fork out the money for a greatest hits album and you go to turn on your favorite song and...What, live music? why am I hearing applause and shouting from a crowd? Or a re-recorded track...GRRRRR!

Runnin Rat said...

Amen! I hate live music (unless I am at the concert listening to it at the moment) and I hate music videos from live performances. I want quality and creativity!