Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Mt. Timpanogos--via the Aspen Grove trail


The hike to the top of Mount Timpanogos, which towers above the cities of Pleasant Grove, Lindon and Orem, UT, is arguably the most popular hike in the state. On Friday, 08/14/10, I went up the mountain for the first time by way of the Aspen Grove trail. Our plan was to spend the night at Emerald Lake so we packed accordingly--funny how a backpack packed for a single overnight trip weighs almost as much as one does for a two or three day hike...

Well, we got started just after 2:00 p.m. Friday afternoon. Due to my superior hiking skills, I left the other three in my dust within the first mile and arrived at Emerald Lake well ahead of them. I had also developed two blisters (that popped) well before arriving at the lake. Fortunately for me I forgot to bring extra socks so I had to wear the wet ones that were causing me grief both Friday and Saturday. (Note to self: buy a good pair of liner socks and don't forget a 2nd pair on the next hike!)

Anyways, the hike was a good one. The night at Emerald Lake was interesting. Biting bugs were aplenty, but really weren't a problem as long as the wind was blowing. I slept under the stars and don't have any bites as a result. I win. Didn't see any fireworks from the Perseid Meteor Shower either. I lose.

At 4:00 a.m. I was awakened by hikers working their way to the summit for the sunrise. Their flashlights along the trail up to the saddle reminded me of a string of Christmas lights. Later, when they had arrived at the peak, flashes from their cameras lit up the morning--it was quite the visual spectacle. I was astonished at the sheer numbers of people though. Looking up at the summit when the sun came up revealed more than a hundred persons lining the ridge.

We began our climb to the top at 7:30, reached the tin house by 9:30, and back at camp before 10:30. The broken blisters on both heels were barking at me the entire morning. I had plenty of ibuprofen, but left it at camp and didn't benefit from it at all until I remembered to take some about half way back to the car. One other thing I didn't benefit from was sunscreen. I'm a habitual sun-burner. I never fail to forget the sunscreen. Where is my mother when I need her?

Anyways, the thing that stood out to me from this hike was the number of mountain goats I saw. I think I probably saw more on this trip alone than on all the others combined! They were everywhere. There was one that was coming up the trail to the saddle as I was going down it. I pressed myself up against the rock to give it as much space as possible--it had sharp, pointy horns!--but it passed and looked at me like I was the threatening one.


No comments: