Monday, August 30, 2010

For the love of Pete!

Compression shorts DO NOT a pair of biking shorts make!

I recently took a run up the Provo River Trail from the mouth of Provo Canyon, up three miles and back.

The trail attracts all sorts.

Long boarders who, after being banned and then allowed back on with restrictions, continue to board any damn way they please! Idiots.

Bikers--road and dirt.

Walkers--and isn't it the most special when the couples hold hands...

Roller bladers.

And dummies like me--runners.

This trip was special. The bikers (the ones on road bikes) are always getting all dressed up in some professional biking team get-up. The spandex shorts or bib and the jersey--all professing their dedication to a certain pro biker or team. I'm on Team Generic. Plain black shorts, but I do have a faux Giro d'Italia and an Empire Strikes Back jersey. And I look good in the pink jersey, let me tell you. My gut doesn't, but the rest of me does.

Anyways, biker shorts--you know, the tight spandex shorts--are to a biker what football pads are to a football player. They pad and cushion the butt.

More or less.

I rode a century bike ride (100+ miles) a few years back and from about mile 40 to the finish, I couldn't feel a thing from my waist down. And maybe that's the benefit the padding in the shorts provides.

So I'm running up the Provo River Trail and I get passed by a lady on a bike. And because most all the bike riders are wearing a kit that advertises something or someone, I was checking it out.

She, apparently, takes the Team Generic to the extreme in that she won't even buy no-name bike shorts. But she will go to Wal-Mart and pick up a pair of compression shorts.

And wear them over the top of her white undies that had flowers or polka-dots in every color of the rainbow. I know this because compression shorts are generally pretty thin. And very often sheer.

Where's my camera when I need it?!

No comments: