Wednesday, August 25, 2010

AB negative


Blood. I have AB negative. Only 1/2% of the population share my blood type (the Red Cross says 1% of the US population has AB negative).

That makes me special.

I'm also a universal platelet donor. Me and the rest of the AB negative and AB positive blood types.

I donate platelets.

Does that make me even more cool in your book? Well, it should. And if you've got any cute, female friends in the neighborhood of 30 to 40, you should hook us up!

Just kidding.

I donated today. Today it was a breeze.

But it isn't always.

In my left arm I have one really good vein. It's a beauty. It's a vein that never fails to perform. My right arm, however, is wanting in the vein category. Or at least the folks at the Red Cross struggle with it. I've gone in three times over the past few months and they've poked and prodded and apologized, and poked and prodded some more only to hang their heads and beg for my forgiveness. Which I always give. I must--I keep coming back. They even sent me a card this last time expressing their true and sincere sorrow.

Anyways, I went in today expecting them to go the one vein route. Normally, with platelet donations, you've got a needle in one arm with the tube taking your blood out, processing and separating the stuff, and then pumping it back in via another tube and needle in the other arm. Well, they had just about given up on the in and out method and were going to use the in and out of the same vein thing that they really don't like to use unless they have to. I'm glad they (Bonnie) opted to give the two arm option the go ahead.

And I watched The Losers while the blood flowed. And the itch up on the outer edge of my right eyebrow? Couldn't do a thing about it. And the itch everywhere else I had an itch--couldn't do a thing. It might be a good idea for them to strap my arms down cause there were a couple of times I almost made the move. Something tells me doing that would hurt a bit.

Oh well.

I was gonna reward myself with a stop at the In-N-Out Burger that's right there, but I didn't. I took two packs of Nutter-Butters, a water, and two cranberry juices and fled the scene.

And I stopped off to pick up a lesson book at the distribution center. Pulling up to the LDS Distribution Center with Mötley Crüe blaring probably doesn't make the best impression, eh?

Does Vince Neil look like crap, or is just me? Who am I kidding... the whole band has gone to pot.

No comments: