Thursday, September 25, 2008

Race Sponsors

I like race sponsors. They make it possible for runners like me to get a $120 race experience for only $60. Good sponsors increase the odds of getting a really good technical shirt and a way nice finisher's medal.

When I can, I will give a sponsor my business. They help me out, I help them out. It's kind of a symbiotic relationship the sponsors have with the runners. Everybody benefits.

Generally.

Al's Sporting Goods is a Major Sponsor of the Top of Utah Marathon. Saturday afternoon as my daughter and I were tooling around Logan we went to Al's to get her a pair of compression shorts. She suggested The Sports Authority but I thought it would be nice to support one of the sponsors of the race I had run that morning.

Al's Sporting Goods.

They have a good looking store and the salesman was very nice and directed us to the Under Armour compression shorts rack. I have two pair of Under Armour compression shorts that I use and I've been 98% satisfied with. I'd be 100% satisfied if they were a couple of inches longer. So, we got a pair for Hay.

Well, Wednesday, she was going to wear the shorts to one of her PE classes up at Utah State. She put them on and one of the seams burst--the result of an apparent defect in the shorts. Surely, Al's would quickly and easily swap out the defective shorts for another pair. Surely.

Surely nothing.

The clerk at Al's said they wouldn't take them back--that it's the customer's responsibility to arrange a replacement with the manufacturer, adding who knows how much time and expense to a process that could be--yea, even should be--a very simple exchange at the place of purchase.

But noooooooo.

Or so I thought. I spoke with a manager Thursday morning and she apologized profusely for the employee who errantly gave my Hay some wrong information. Al's is going to exchange the shorts or refund the money. It's all good. See--sponsors really are a good thing!

No comments: