Sunday, August 17, 2008

My Hay is off to college!

I dropped my Hay off at USU yesterday. It was a rather hard thing to do. It was particularly hard driving away knowing she was probably laying on her bed with tears literally drenching her pillow.

In the moments before the final farewell she hugged both her little sister and brother--all of them with their water works unabashedly turned to full-on! I walked her back to her dorm room assuring her that she would be fine--that she would soon forget her anxieties and begin to wonder what all the fuss was for. In her dorm room I said my goodbye and hugged her tightly while she cried on my shoulder.

Walking down the stairs I knew that she would be fine and that she may well prove to be more of a resource to the school than it would be to her. I also came to recognize that of the two of us, I would end up being the one missing the other the most! Without question I will be suffering withdrawal due to her absence! It's only been within the last few years that I've really come to depend on my Hay. I'm the dad and I depend om my daughter? Heck yeah!! And then some.

So, there she is and here I am. I miss her. I'm confident though that she'll excel up there at Utah State. My Hay--a college student hanging out at USU on a full-ride scholarship--kinda makes a father proud!

I think the other kids will miss their sister a lot too. Corbin and Addi were both wiping away tears as we drove home. Hay has a strong tie and connection with each of her siblings beyond that of being family. She's a strength to them all in one way or another.

No comments: