Monday, October 18, 2010

Caught up in a run...

I went running today after work. I missed running on Saturday on account of me being busy doing other things. And kids.

So I knew that I really ought to get a run in today. So, I packed my running bag and took it to work with me. Shorts, socks, shoes, shirt--check. Garmin/watch--that would be a big negative. Oh well. Ever noticed that shorts, shoes, and shirt all begin with the letters S and H? Add socks to the mix and they all begin with the letter S! How cool is that?

Anyways, I managed to get through the day at the office and donned the 4 S's and drove up to the mouth of Provo Canyon.

I wore my Vibram Five-Fingers for 4 miles. Probably a bit much, but I actually enjoyed it at the time. Right now my calves are crying foul, but at 5:45 I was having a good time. I ran the first 4 in the Five-Fingers and then changed into my Saucony Kinvaras and ran 4 more.

I was in the zone. I could have run all night if I had the time and the inclination.

Well, actually, I think I did have the inclination and I probably could have made the time--but it was getting close to dark and I didn't have a flashlight. I thought about coming home and hopping on the treadmill, but the house has no power except for a single extension cord that is currently feeding electricity to the fridge and this computer.

Got home and didn't run any more. But I really wish I could have. And then my calves got all tight and cranky. Something about barefoot running and calves... I like it!

Didn't get my laundry done either. Needed to, but I didn't. The laundromat in town closes at 9:00 p.m. The boy and I were both somewhat surprised by that. Laundromats should have late hours or should be open 24 hours.

Yeah, the boy. I was unlocking the door to get in the house, but found it unlocked. Walked in cautiously and found the boy poking his head around the corner. What a turd! I need a little warning.

But anyways, the point of this blog was to mention the fact that I had planned on giving careful and considerate thought to my daughter. She's expecting. Pregnant. Due in early January. But this has been a difficult pregnancy for her. She has what is called a velamentous cord insertion. Google it--I'm not going to explain it. Needless to say, it can be troublesome. I was going to give some thought to this subject and my daughter on this run.

And I spaced it.

It didn't even cross my mind once.

Until I was home.

I'm such a poor father...

So I'm making up for it now, by signing off on this blog and considering what I meant to earlier.

1 comment:

Katie said...

We're praying for Chan. I'm so impressed with your love of running lately. I was really feeling in the zone and looking forward to my runs, but now that I've taken almost 3 weeks off due to the broken toe, running just doesn't sound appealing at all anymore despite the fact that my toe is almost totally healed. (wow, that a REALLY long sentence)