Saturday, April 26, 2008

2008 Boston Marathon

No, I didn't run it. I have yet to qualify. Someday. Maybe. I hope.

An old guy like me needs to run a qualifying marathon at or under 3:20:59. For those keeping score at home, that's 26.2 miles with an average pace of 7:40 per mile.

The fastest I've managed to run a marathon was the St. George marathon back in 2002 when I finished with a 3:35:32 (a 8:14 average pace). I can't knock 34 seconds per mile off my fastest time! At least not with my attitude. And definitely not training like I have been.

Anyways, some good friends and associates of mine went back to Bean Town and ran Boston last Monday, April 21. Most have returned and made a report. Makes me want to go. Makes me want to kick my lazy butt in the butt and put in the effort. And then I get to thinking about the expense. I've got 2 kids that tell me they plan on going out with me, and I know darn well they won't be footing their own bill--that's what dad's are for. And with me having sights to see and former haunts and people to visit while I'm back there, it ain't gonna be no two or three day trip. Try a week. Or more.

One word: pipedream.

No comments: