Saturday, June 2, 2007

Mountain Biking with the Boy

Corbin and I had planned to go mountain biking over Memorial Day weekend but a warped rim spoiled those plans. But we got that fixed this week and headed up American Fork Canyon this morning for a ride along the Timpooneke Road.

Just me and the boy up in the mountains on our bikes.

It was a bit warm, but we didn't care much. And Corbin, being 13, wanted to show his old man a thing or two right off the bat; so for the first couple of miles all I could see of him was his back side from a distance. He was in one of the mid-range gears and was out of his seat putting way too much effort into climbing up the road. Eventually, just as I knew he would, he ran out of steam.

We rode about 3 miles up around the north end of Timpanogos and then turned around and rode back to Mutual Dell. At the turn-around, however, we stopped to drink some water and eat some peanut butter crackers. We chatted a bit and headed back down the road.

Corbin has little fear. He was always a good distance ahead of me and moving at a pretty good clip, rocks-be-damned. Me, I'm a bit more cautious. OK, a lot more cautious. Eventually we made it off the dirt road and onto the pavement--and we both turned on the after-burners the remaining distance.

Upon arriving at the Dell, I noticed that my wedge (under-the-seat bike bag) was open. "How did that happen?" I asked myself. But what really chapped my hide was the fact that everything that was in the wedge was gone! And to think, I almost threw my brand-spanking-new cell phone in there. What happened, I think, was when we stopped to eat the crackers I just didn't zip up the bag. And I'm going to beat myself up for 3 weeks for being such an idiot! Total loss in terms of dollars? Maybe $15. Nothing much, but still.

Anyways, the end result of the afternoon ride was positive (and a distance of only 9 miles). I don't work next weekend--I think we might just go and do it again! Fun!

1 comment:

leigh said...

george and i are very happy that you and corbin had such a good day together. i was reading this while on the phone with my friend. you made me smile, thank you. so glad that your phone was not in the bag, what ever would i do if you did not have your cell phone to ignore me by! XOXOX