Sunday, April 26, 2009

Rainy Day Ruminations...

~
Two nights ago, before heading to bed, I turned on the TV and flipped over to the Universal Sports channel. There were re-broadcasting Monday's Boston Marathon. I had a bunch of friends running that race and while I was at work I kept up on their progress via the World Wide Web. Later, when I had gotten home and had more time, I learned that both Ryan Hall and Kara Goucher had placed 3rd overall in their respective genders.

I wasn't really surprised with that--an American hasn't won Boston for quite some time--1983 for the men with Greg Meyer and 1985 for the women with Lisa Larsen-Weidenbach.

Still, Ryan and Kara were big-time contenders to finish first at Boston this year. Even more amazing, in my mind anyways, was the fact that this was Kara Goucher's second marathon. Ever. Her first was the New York City Marathon back in November of last year where she also finished 3rd.

While Ryan Hall dropped back from the leader somewhere in the Newton Hills, Kara Goucher maintained her position in the lead pack until the very end. Only in the last mile did she drop back, and even then it was only a few feet. Ultimately she finished 9 seconds behind the winner. Ryan Hall finished 58 seconds back of the men's winner.

Both performances were amazing. Ryan's average pace for the full 26.2 miles was 4:57! Kara's was 5:49! I couldn't go a single mile at that pace without keeling over and throwing up a lung, a kidney, and my liver. 4:57!

I've got 4 kids--3 of which ask me occasionally when I'm going to BQ so that we can go to Boston. Yes, they've all assumed I'm going to drag them right along with me. And I will. Many of the stories I've heard from my friends who have been highlight what an incredible experience it was having their family there with them. I couldn't imagine going out there alone.

But I'm getting old and I'm not as motivated as I ought to be. I really need to be able to run 7:30's (26 of them) to qualify and I'm not there.

Running is a metaphor for life. I'm sure there's a metaphor out there somewhere that I ought to apply to running. Between the two metaphor's, maybe I'll get it right. Someday.

No comments: